History

How did The Church at Lake Cherokee begin?

The Church at Lake Cherokee began as an outgrowth of a community church under Mike Maxwell's leadership.  Founding members met as The Church at Lake Cherokee in a private home.  As membership grew, the congregation relocated to a temporary facility on the Old Lake Store Road.  As the church's needs became greater, Mike asked his friend and former minister, Bill Smythe, to join him as a minister.  Together this leadership team. with support of the Vestry and the membership, successfully raised funds to purchase land and build new facilities including a Sanctuary, Fellowship Hall and Gym located on four acres at 11968 FM 2011 East near the intersection of FM 1716 and FM 2011.

In spring 2014, Patrick Peerenboom joined the ministry-team at The Church at Lake Cherokee with primary responsibility for the church's growing youth ministry which was enlarged to include a summer mission trip and bi-monthly Bible Study in addition to the weekly Kids Kount youth meetings. As Patrick returned to fulltime employment as administrator of a care facility, the church called Bill Blanks to a fulltime position as ministry sharing in responsibilities for preaching, teaching, youth and education, and small group ministry.


In "ministry beyond its walls," The Church at Lake Cherokee intermittently supports mission with:  contributions to specific local requests; Highway 80 Mission, Longview; Samaritan Ministries, Tatum; seasonal support to local families and individuals; ARC of Gregg County; Heartsway Hospice; Disciples Crossing, Athens; Women's Shelter, Longview; the "packpack" program providing weekend meals to students in the Tatum ISD.